The Institute for Computing, Information and Cognitive Systems has an opening for a postdoctoral fellow for a 2-year term. Please see job details below:
Term: Sep 2021 – Aug 2023
Stipend: $53,500 - $63,900 + benefits
Rogers Communications and the University of British Columbia have entered a partnership that will aim to improve the campus experience by creating a 5G Wireless Network-enabled smart campus, while providing research and development collaboration opportunities anchored in next generation networks.
The postdoctoral researcher will support and conduct research concerning the deployment and application of 5G and follow-on wireless technologies for intelligent transportation and vehicular communications in both land and maritime environments in support of the Rogers 5G Hub at UBC, various initiatives with Transport Canada, the National Research Council of Canada, the BC Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, and the UBC Marine Systems Initiative. The work will involve development and assessment of use cases, deployment strategies, public policy, and standards for emerging technologies using various 5G wireless testbeds that have been established at UBC, including the AURORA Connected Vehicle Testbed, or are in the process of being established in partnership with industry and government collaborators
Under the supervision of Prof. David Michelson (Electrical and Computer Engineering) the successful candidate will also work closely with graduate students and project partners, such as Rogers Communications, various provincial and municipal transportation agencies, and various equipment suppliers to show how new and emerging technologies can help realize the full potential of smart transportation.
EDUCATION AND/OR WORK EXPERIENCE:
Candidate must hold a PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Intelligent Transportation Systems, or a related field. Successful applicants will have an outstanding academic record and demonstrate aptitude for independent research.
WORK TO BE PERFORMED:
- Research in the field of intelligent transportation and wireless vehicular communications in both land and maritime domains
- Support translation of research into practice.
- Collaborate with graduate students and postdoctoral researchers
- Present findings on a regular basis to supervisor and team members
- Liaise with project partners
- Assist in preparation of research proposals, and administration of, and reporting for, existing grants.
- Other duties as assigned
- Significant domain knowledge and fieldwork experience in intelligent transportation and/or wireless vehicular communications in land and possibly maritime environments
- Excellent organization skills
- Demonstrated experience in collaborating with government and industry partners would be desirable
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Comfortable working alone and in team settings
REMOTE WORK AND COVID-19 CONTINGENCIES:
Given the global COVID-19 pandemic, UBC is supporting remote work, where possible. The successful candidate will be assigned an on-campus work station that allows for appropriate physical distancing, but may be required to work remotely, in response to local public health guidelines.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the Subject: PostDoc App 2021 by closing June 30, 2021. Only those short listed will be contacted. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
How to apply?
Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org and refer to reference number PDFO-55140.
Desired start date: 01 Sep 2021
Duration: Fixed term / Temporary
Contract Type: Full Time