- with an additional $10,000 in conference and northern travel expenses
- This award supports a post-doctoral student who has graduated from a Canadian university that has demonstrated exceptional promise, academic excellence, leadership, and a strong commitment to northern research.
- completed Canadian doctoral program by September OR no more than *two years prior to application
- approval of proposal
- ethics approval
- research licensing
- academic record,
- research ability,
- leadership skills,
- potential benefit of the research to the North,
- referees’ reports,
- applicants’ interest in, and commitment to the North and northern studies
- Preference is given to clearly defined projects that are demonstrably relevant to northerners and northern scholarship. Willingness to communicate results to the archaeology, northern and national communities must be demonstrated.
- The post-doctoral supervisor must not be the applicant’s PhD supervisor.
- Support from the post-doctoral supervisor and host institution must be demonstrated.
- Applicants who currently hold a Weston PDF must demonstrate how the previous PDF has come to completion, as well as how the current application differs from previous work.
- See full guidelines for information about holding this award internationally.
*This period may be extended to three years if you acquired at least six months of work experience in government or industry after you received your doctorate or six years if you withdrew from active research for parental leave for at least one year after you received your doctorate.