Grand Challenges Canada is dedicated to supporting Bold Ideas with Big Impact® in global health. We are funded by the Government of Canada and we fund innovators in low- and middle-income countries and Canada. The bold ideas we support integrate science and technology, social and business innovation – we call this Integrated Innovation®. We focus on bringing successful innovation to scale, catalyzing sustainability and impact. We have a determined focus on results, and on saving and improving lives.
Grand Challenges Canada works closely with Canada’s International Development Research Centre (IDRC), the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) and Global Affairs Canada. Grand Challenges Canada is hosted at the Sandra Rotman Centre at the University Health Network.
Grand Challenges Canada is a platform for outcomes-based innovation to save and improve lives in low- and middle-income countries. We put a strong focus on outcomes measurement, to understand the current impact of our projects, and outcomes projection, because most of the outcomes from innovation occur in the future.
- Stars in Global Health Program - supports Bold Ideas with Big Impact® from the best and brightest scientists and innovators, both in low- and middle-income countries and in Canada, to address some of the most pressing global health challenges.
- Transition to Scale Program - supports innovators from Canada and from low- and middle-income countries who are positioned to take their bold ideas to big impact in the area of global health.
- Saving Lives at Birth Program - calls on the brightest minds across the globe to identify and scale up transformative prevention and treatment approaches for pregnant women and newborns around the time of birth.
- Saving Brains Program - supports bold ideas to improve early brain and child development globally. The portfolio focuses on three areas of healthy development (health & nutrition, enrichment and protection) that, when addressed together, set up a child to reach his or her full potential.
- Global Mental Health Program - supports bold ideas to improve treatments and expand access to care for mental disorders, through transformational, affordable and cost-effective innovations that have the potential to be sustainable at scale.
Other Grand Challenges grant opportunities can be found at http://grandchallenges.org/grant-opportunities.html.