The Weston Brain Institute (the “Institute”) supports research that accelerates the development of therapeutics for neurodegenerative diseases of aging. To help achieve this, the Institute addresses gaps and inefficiencies in the funding market by supporting high-risk, high-reward translational projects, while leveraging world-class business and scientific expertise in a fast and flexible granting process.
Neurodegenerative diseases of aging are among the least understood and most undertreated diseases today. Diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s are placing a large and increasing burden on society. If ignored, the social and economic costs to manage these diseases will rise significantly within a generation.
Meeting this challenge requires pioneering approaches to accelerating treatments. The Canada: Rapid Response program was created to provide seed funding for novel, high-risk, high-reward, translational research to accelerate the development of safe and effective treatments for neurodegenerative diseases of aging.
This program is run through alternating calls that are disease focused:
- Parkinson’s & Related Diseases: PD, PSP, LBD, MSA, prodromes, and vascular contributions to the listed diseases. Launch: Currently open
- Alzheimer’s & Related Diseases: AD, FTD, MCI prodromes, and vascular contributions to the listed diseases. Launch: November 2017
- Program Information Session: October 10, 2017 at 1pm EDT (Register here)
- Letter of Intent Deadline: December 4, 2017 at 2pm EST
- Anticipated Award: June 2018
The Weston Brain Institute welcomes any inquiries concerning this program announcement. Please contact the Institute at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 (416) 935-4056.