The H.L. Holmes Award has been established by the National Research Council of Canada (NRC) in honour of the late Dr. R.H.L. Holmes, a chemist who spent most of his research career in Alberta.
Bequeathed by the late Dr.Holmes, in recognition of NRC's commitment to promote research excellence, the award gives recipients the opportunity to conduct post-doctoral studies under outstanding researchers at world famous graduate schools or research institutes. Research must be undertaken in chemistry, physics, biology or mathematics as they relate to medical and biological processes.
Awards cover a one or two-year period, depending on available funding and the research proposal, and can have a monetary value of up to $100,000 CDN per year.
Role of the host organization
Host organizations are expected to provide support to award recipients. This could be in the form of facilities, equipment and/or operating resources, and by administering the Award funds.
The H.L. Holmes Award selection committee
The H.L. Holmes Award Selection Committee is chaired by NRC's Vice-President, Life Sciences. Members include NRC reviewers as well as two external reviewers.
For additional information, please contact:
Holmes Award Secretariat
Vice-President's Office, Life Sciences
National Research Council Canada
Applications are now being accepted. Interested individuals may apply directly. Candidates can also be nominated by Canadian universities or other research organizations willing to support the candidate in carrying out their proposed research. Applications must include:
a detailed description of the proposed research project including the duration of the project and budget details (maximum 10 pages total);
the proposed location of research;
candidate's CV confirming the above eligibility criteria;
three letters assessing the candidate's research ability from persons under whom the candidate has trained or worked;
a letter from the host organization confirming its willingness to accept the candidate, administer the Award funds and describing the level of support the organization will provide to the candidate.
Application deadline: 31 March 2017
Recipients will be chosen according to the following eligibility criteria:
- the candidate must be a Canadian citizen;
- the candidate must have graduated from a recognized Canadian university;
- the candidate must hold a doctoral degree from either a Canadian university or an outstanding foreign university, received within five years immediately before to the application deadline;
- the candidate's proposed research must pertain to chemistry, physics, biology or mathematics as they relate to medical and biological processes;
- the candidate must have demonstrated research ability.
In evaluating applications, the H.L. Holmes Award Selection Committee will consider the following criteria:
- the candidate's demonstrated research experience;
- the scientific merit of the proposed research;
- the assessments of the candidate by persons familiar with the candidate's work;
- the acceptance and support of the host organization.