Networking Skills (with Mitacs Training) (online)
Date & Time
**Please note this workshop is now full, and those registering will be placed on the waitlist.**
This session is being offered in collaboration with Mitacs Training and the Graduate Pathways to Success Program. Mitacs Training provides professional development training to advanced degree graduates, supplementing their education and research experience with the tools necessary to succeed in today’s workforce.
You’ve all heard the saying “you are only as good as your network,” but have you ever wondered how to get one?
This full day course is designed to provide insight and interaction along with the know how to build and stabilize business relationships through effective networking.
We will cover who-what-where-when and why to network and participants will have the opportunity to practice what they learn. Details on the actual networking exercises will be determined by the location of each event. Activities will be customized to reflect the interests of the participants.
Through participating and completing this course, participants will:
- Broaden their understanding of the importance of networking
- Learn the importance of sharing contacts
- Receive insights on how to refresh, build and make the most of the networks they already have, both virtually and in-person
- Acquire the tools required to make an impact on contacts that may open doors
- Learn tools and techniques to plan and better prepare for networking opportunities
KEY TOPIC AREAS:
The Importance of Networking
- The value of a network
- Strength of weak ties
- Introducing others
- Social Media Profiles and Networking
Assessing and Building a Network
- Mapping and identifying existing networks
- Identifying networking opportunities in life and work
- Business cards: why everyone should have them and how to use them
- Networking planning and preparation
- Transactional vs. engaged networking
- Mingling and making impactful connections: The art of conversation
- Answering the questions “So what do you do?”
- Follow through and follow up
Registration in this session is required and Postdoctoral Fellows can register through the following link. Those successfully registered will receive an email within one week of the session date.
If you are a graduate student interested in attending this event, please register through the Graduate Pathways to Success Program.
Due to the ongoing situation surrounding COVID-19, this session will be delivered online via Zoom. The following suggestions may help to improve the online experience:
- Use headphones to reduce noise and avoid feedback between your mic and speaker.
- Ensure that you are in a quiet location so that the audio does not get polluted with unwanted noise.
- Keep your microphone on mute unless you are speaking during the session.
- In case of technical problems, time for plugin downloads, etc., please attempt to log into the Zoom meeting 10-15 minutes before the start. You will be placed in the waiting room until the official start time.