Foundations of Career Planning Program
Date & Time
How do I get started on the job search path? How can I make my resumé/CV stand out from the rest? How do I negotiate a salary? How can I make meaningful connections with people who I’d like to work with?
Transitioning from a postdoctoral fellowship to a post-fellowship career can be daunting. In a competitive job market, it is vital to cultivate your brand and develop a strong professional portfolio in order to move into the professional workforce. Establishing a solid professional portfolio can arm you with transferrable skills that are not only applicable to multiple careers in a lifetime, but also to careers both within and outside of the academe.
The Postdoctoral Fellows Office is pleased to introduce Foundations of Career Planning, a three-part workshop program designed to provide postdocs with the support and resources required to establish the foundations of a post-PDF career, whether in academia or in industry. By the end of the program, participants will have developed through self-reflection the foundations needed to structure a development plan, put together a professional portfolio, and navigate the interview and negotiation process.
Advance registration in the Foundations program is required, and all participants must be able to attend all sessions in full in order to be eligible to participate. Some pre-work will be required.
- Session 1: - Tuesday, January 9, 2018 (9:00 AM - 4:00 PM): Starting With You: Clarifying Your Key Strengths, Values and Skills and your Personalized Development Framework
- Session 2: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 (8:00 AM – 4:00 PM): Compiling Professional Work Search Documents: Resumes, CVs, Cover Letters, Bios, and Profiles
- Please note earlier start time for this session.
- Session 3: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 (9:00 AM – 4:00 PM): The Best Candidate Wins: Interview to Job Negotiation Strategies
- All participants must be available to attend all sessions in full.
- All applicants must hold a current UBC postdoctoral fellowship appointment at the time of application and for the entire duration of the Foundations program.
- Postdocs who have repeatedly missed PDFO workshops without notice/cancellation may be considered ineligible to attend.
Registration in the Foundations of Career Building Program is currently closed. Space in the Foundations program is limited, and completing the registration form does not guarantee a seat in the program. Those successfully registered will receive an email confirmation by Monday, November 6, 2017.
Registration Deadline: Thursday, November 2, 2017.
Please direct any questions to the Postdoctoral Fellows Office by email at email@example.com.