The Postdoctoral Fellows Teaching Internship (PDTI) is a teaching development program designed specifically for UBC postdocs who are interested in pursuing academic teaching as part of their career.This program is being offered by the PDFO in collaboration with the Centre for the Integration of Research, Teaching and Learning (CIRTL).
By the end of the Internship, participants will be able to:
- Create a framework for how a typical university course operates
- Articulate how teaching and learning theories intersect with the practical requirements of a university course
- Design university lessons which incorporate learner-centred lesson planning basics, demonstrating the alignment of learning objectives, learning activities and assessment techniques
- Develop and refine a teaching portfolio using the evidence of teaching effectiveness gathered throughout the internship
Please contact email@example.com with any questions about the Postdoc Teaching Internship.
The Postdoc Teaching Internship consists of two major components and a series of supporting workshops over approximately one academic semester.
A widely recognized 24-hour teaching intensive workshop where the participants learn and practice the fundamentals of lesson planning and adult learning theory in a peer-based environment. The PDFO and Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology offer two PDF-specific ISWs throughout the year.
Postdoctoral Fellows are also welcomed to attend Faculty ISWs held throughout the year
A one-term mentorship program where the postdoc mentor works with an experienced mentor instructor in their discipline to enhance their understanding and experience of teaching a university course. During the internship, postdoc interns will:
- observe mentors in their teaching,
- teach guest lectures and receive feedback on their teaching,
- discuss approaches to teaching with their mentors, and
- engage in group discussions of teaching with other postdoc interns from their cohort.
Throughout the internship, CIRTL offers a number of teaching development workshops to support participants in different components of the Internship. Supporting workshops are typically scheduled as one 2-hour workshop each month, and have included:
- Developing Teaching Philosophy statements
- Lesson planning clinic
- Discipline-based Educational Research
- Q&A sessions with a panel of teaching experts
Those who complete the Instructional Skills Workshop will lead to CIRTL Associate level. Those who complete all mandatory components and supporting workshops in the program will lead to CIRTL Practitioner level.
The next Postdoctoral Fellows Teaching Internship will be held from September 2 - December 2, 2021, with the sessions as follows:
- September 2, 2021 – Preliminary Meeting (online)
- September 16, 2021 – Lesson Basics & Planning (in-person)
- October 7, 2021 – Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (in-person)
- October 28, 2021 – Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity (in-person)
- November 18, 2021 – Teaching Portfolios (in-person)
- December 2, 2021 – Panel Discussion (TBD)
The next Instructional Skills Workshop will be held in November 2021. Registration for the ISW will open closer to the session date.
Postdoctoral Fellows Teaching Internship
Registration is now open for the September - December PDTI cohort. Registration will be open until August 30, 2021 at 4:00 PM and is available through the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology.
Click “Register Now” to apply. If your application is successful and you are selected as a participant you will be contacted via email with more details to attend the Internship. This event will be held online on Zoom and in-person on campus.