NPAW 2021: Rocking Your Resume: Translating Your Research to an Industry Environment
Date & Time
Your resume is one of the most important tools in your job search. It is used by employers to assess your fit both for a specific position and for the overall organization, and unlike an academic CV, the expectation is that your professional resume will be customized for the industry, employer, and specific position for which you are applying. Compelling, targeted resumes quickly and concisely express your value and expertise; generic resumes get lost in the shuffle. This webinar will dive into how to craft compelling resumes for industry positions. Participants will leave equipped to effectively communicate relevant accomplishments in an industry-ready resume format, and will learn how to customize your resume for a specific position or sector.
This session will be followed by a webinar on Compiling Your CV for Academic Positions.
This event is part of 2021 National Postdoc Appreciation Week. Click here for a list of all NPAW events!
Dr. Roberta Borden
Dr. Roberta Borgen (Neault), CCC, CCDP, GCDFi, is President of Life Strategies Ltd., Project Director with the Canadian Career Development Foundation, and President of the Counsellor Educators Chapter of the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association. An award-winning career management specialist with almost four decades of relevant experience in counselling, coaching, consulting, training, curriculum design, research, and writing, Roberta recently retired as Associate Dean of the Faculty of Behavioural Sciences for Yorkville University and served on Team Canada for the 2017 International Symposium on Career Development and Public Policy in Korea. She is the recipient of the BC Career Development Association's Mentor of the Year Award, the National Employment Counseling Association's Professional Development Award, the Canadian Career Development Foundation's prestigious Stu Conger Award for Leadership in Career Counselling and Career Development in Canada, and the Gold Medal and Diamond Pin for Leadership in Career Development. She was recently awarded an honourary membership with the Career Development Association of Alberta and, on behalf of the Life Strategies team, received the Outstanding Educator of Career Professionals award from the Asia Pacific Career Development Association.
Registration in this session is required, and is now open. Those successfully registered will receive a registration confirmation within one week of the session date.
NO-SHOW PENALTY: If you register and do not attend or cancel after 3pm on the day before the event, it may affect your eligibility to join future events. To avoid this no-show penalty, please cancel by at least 3pm the day before the event by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have a disability or medical condition that may affect your full participation in the event, please email email@example.com in advance of the event.
PDFO EVENT COMMUNITY AGREEMENT
The PDFO has created a community agreement for our events in order to foster an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment in which all event attendees feel safe and supported.
By participating in a PDFO event, we commit ourselves to:
- Treating one another with kindness, courtesy and respect in all interactions;
- Engaging in gracious, active listening and valuing others’ opinions;
- Not dominating discussions so that others can share during the session;
- Ensuring that any potentially confidential or sensitive information shared as part of the session is not shared outside of the session;
- Actively participating in the session; and
- In online sessions, when possible and if comfortable sharing audio and/or video to create a greater sense of community and participation.
This panel will be delivered online via Zoom. The following suggestions may help to improve the online experience:
- Use headphones to reduce noise and avoid feedback between your mic and speaker.
- Ensure that you are in a quiet location so that the audio does not get polluted with unwanted noise.
- Keep your microphone on mute unless you are speaking during the session.
- In case of technical problems, time for plugin downloads, etc., please attempt to log into the Zoom meeting 10-15 minutes before the start. You will be placed in the waiting room until the official start time.