Business Writing for Today's Professional
Date & Time
This session is being offered in collaboration with the MITACS Step program. Mitacs Step offers a holistic, inter-disciplinary approach to professional skills development. The workshops that are offered provide practical tools in business, communications, and project management through experiential learning from industry professionals in an interactive environment, arming graduate students for success within or beyond academia.
Graduate students, please register through the Graduate Pathways to Success Program.
No matter what field you’re working in, written communication is a critical part of your day-to-day duties. Regardless of your comfort or skill level, you can benefit from learning techniques to entice your readers and achieve your goals. This workshop will help all professionals hone their writing skills using proven techniques and processes.
To provide opportunities for participants to build on their business writing knowledge and skills through a combination of self-directed activities and in-person, facilitated application. Through their participation, participants will shape their approach to strategically creating clear written communication in a professional setting.
Gain practical written communication skills to improve engagement with various stakeholders
Deepen your understanding of writing techniques to concisely grab a reader’s attention and get results
Learn writing methods that can be applied immediately
Harness writing processes that maximize preparation and effective writing time
Key Topic Areas:
Preparing to write
- Preparing to write: Gathering ideas , Organization, Scheduling
- Determine relevant information + Structure + Tools: Operational plan, Report, Template, Email
- Estimating + Scheduling + Defending writing time (email, letters, templates)
- Reduction techniques: 1st write, 2nd write, 3rd write
- Report Writing: Top Tips + Samples review
- Tables: Using – how to, when to, + Tips
- Images vs. Words (when to visualize data)
- Organizing Content: Top-down vs. Bottom Up
- Duration estimating: How long will this really take up in my day?
- Call-To-Action: Defining, usage
- Assessing + Respecting audience reading / attention time
Self-Editing + Review
- Proofing techniques
- Grammar + Sentence Structure Top Tips
- Formatting tips + MS Word / MS Excel quick tips
- Improving Clarity, Tone
Rose Hastreiter is a professional project manager, programme manager, pm advisor, entrepreneur, creative professional and international facilitator who helps organizations develop their plans through the development of their people, processes, and the relationships in-between. Dynamic + engaging, her live workshops are inspiring, insightful, practical, and committed to bridging practical information with real-world application and human understanding. Her facilitation style is entertaining yet intelligent & pragmatic, with great testimonials from many of over 10,000 participants to date, in various sectors and fields of expertise.
Registration is required and is now open. Those successfully registered will receive a confirmation email from the PDFO one week prior to the workshop. All cancellations must be received no later than 24 hours in advance of the workshop.
*** Lunch will not be provided as part of this session. ***