In alignment with UBC’s institutional commitments to the development of a more just, equitable, diverse and inclusive academic and research environment, UBC is taking action to improve the recruitment and support of outstanding Black scholars.
One dimension of this effort is the potential development of new doctoral completion and postdoctoral fellowship programs to provide enhanced opportunity and support for emerging Black scholars to advance their preparation for successful academic careers.
The envisioned doctoral completion fellowship would provide:
- financial and mentorship support to final-year Black doctoral students to help them strengthen their academic profile for the academic job market.
- salary and research funding
- access to teaching opportunities and career development
- academic networking for cohorts of Black postdoctoral fellows across any academic discipline
Current UBC-V Black doctoral students and postdoctoral scholars are invited to join an upcoming conversation to help shape the possibilities of this new program. This feedback is crucial in helping to design programs that can address needs and provide opportunities to emerging Black scholars.
Engagement dates for Black doctoral students and postdoctoral scholars at UBC-Vancouver
- Tuesday, March 1, 2022 from 3:30-5 p.m. Register
- Wednesday, March 2, 2022 from 9:30-11 a.m. Register
An online survey version of this consultation is available until March 6. You are welcome to provide feedback using the survey, and/or register to attend a remote engagement session.