As the most prestigious postdoctoral award in Canada, the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program provides the opportunity to bring top talent to join the research community at UBC.
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships are awarded to the very best postdoctoral researchers, both nationally and internationally, who will positively contribute to Canada's economic, social and research-based growth.
The UBC Internal Banting Competition is managed by the Postdoctoral Fellows Office. For official information, regulations and procedures, visit the Banting website.
To access the Vanier-Banting Academic CV template, visit the Canadian Common CV (CCV) site.
Equity and diversity are essential to academic excellence. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
**Please note that the deadline for the UBC Internal Banting Competition has now passed and no further submissions will be accepted.**
- BC Okanagan Banting Notice of Intent (NOI) Deadline: Monday, May 16, 2022 at 11:59 PM PDT (A NOI is not required for those applying through UBC Vancouver.)
- UBC Internal Banting Competition Deadline: Wednesday, July 13, 2022 at 9:00 AM PDT NO EXCEPTIONS
- Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program National Deadline: Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 20:00 EDT (17:00 PDT)
All candidates are responsible for meeting any additional UBC internal deadlines set by their faculties and/or departments. Please consult with your unit for any additional internal procedures and/or deadlines.
Updated Wednesday, July 13, 2022
All Supervisor/PI resources are available on the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Faculty and Staff Portal at https://faculty-staff.grad.ubc.ca/update/56037.
An active CWL account is required to access this portal; please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unable to access this portal.
The following Supervisor/PI resources are available for the 2022 UBC Internal Banting Competition:
- Supervisor's Statement Template Letter
- As part of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship application, candidates are required to include a Supervisor’s Statement. Banting will use this document to assess the degree to which the institution and supervisor are committed to the applicant, their capacity to enable the applicant to become a future leader in their chosen field and their potential to build upon the institution's strategic priorities. The Supervisor’s Statement should include the Supervisor’s biography, information about the appropriateness of the supervisor, information about the research environment, information about the professional development opportunities available for successful Banting Postdoctoral Researchers, and a description of the institutional synergy between the applicant’s proposed research program and the institution’s strategic priorities.
- The PDFO has prepared a Template Supervisor’s Statement Letter. It is highly encouraged that this template be used in the preparation of the Supervisor’s Statement.
- Research Allowance
- The Office of the Vice-President Research & Innovation at UBC Vancouver and the Office of the Vice-Principal Research at UBC Okanagan have committed a research allowance of $5,000/year for the two years of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship for all successful Banting Postdoctoral Researchers at UBC.
- Travel Award and Funding Allocations
- The PDFO, in consultation with faculties across both UBC campuses, has prepared a document that outlines potential sources of funding that may be accessible to successful Banting Postdoctoral Researchers. Please consult this document on the Faculty and Staff Portal at https://faculty-staff.grad.ubc.ca/update/56037 for additional information.
The number of applications received varies by year and by tri-council.
The number of applications selected for institutional endorsement varies by year and by tri-council based on the caliber of the applicant pool. In keeping with Banting requirements, we only submit the highest-quality applications received as part of the UBC Internal Banting Competition.
The number of Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships received varies from year to year. Detailed competition results, including all UBC winners, are available on the Banting website.
Page length and presentation standards are determined by Banting. Applications that do not conform to the requirements set by Banting may be deemed ineligible.
No. As per the Banting eligibility guidelines, Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships are tenable only at the institution which supported the original application for the program.
The Government of Canada, and the Vanier-Banting Secretariat, are committed to ensuring that all trainees have equitable access to research funding and career support. Equity is an integral part of a sustainable research ecosystem as it encourages greater diversity among applicants. All applicants are strongly encouraged to review Banting's Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion guidelines and resources prior to beginning a Banting application.
Yes. However, you will be required to complete the Justification for remaining in PhD research environment attachment as part of your application.
Yes. However, you will be required to complete the Justification for remaining in the same research environment (other than PhD) attachment as part of your application.
In taking the first steps to embark on a Postdoctoral Fellowship application, it is critical to make contact with appropriate Faculty members at the University working in your field of research. Please check faculties/departments of interest – each department has a list of faculty members and their research topics, and you can also search research faculty by keyword on our website. The PDFO website also has a list of Supervisors/PIs who are currently recruiting postdoctoral fellows on our Career Opportunities page.
Deadlines and Application Support
Due to a very tight working schedule, the UBC Internal Banting Competition deadline is a firm deadline.
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide examples of successful Banting applications from previous years.
For the purpose of the UBC Internal Banting Competition only, you may submit your CCV in draft format.
For the purpose of the UBC Internal Banting Competition, referee assessments are not required. However, should your application be selected for UBC endorsement, you will be required to provide the appropriate referee assessments by the Banting deadline of Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 20:00 EDT (17:00 PDT).
Yes, Supervisor’s Statements are required for the UBC Internal Banting Competition. Please ensure that your Supervisor’s Statement meets all of the requirements, including Presentation standards, set out by Banting.
No. Please submit your Supervisor’s Statement as part of the Banting application package submitted in .PDF format to the PDFO.
Please contact the institution at which you completed your doctoral degree to determine the appropriate signatory for the Fulfillment of Degree Requirements form.
If you completed or are completing your doctoral degree at UBC, please email a completed form in .PDF format, along with your student number, to email@example.com. Once received, the form will be signed by the Dean of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies and returned to you by email.
Applications must be submitted as one continuous PDF file in the following order via the UBC Internal Banting Submission Form.
1. Canadian Common CV (Vanier-Banting Academic Template)
2. ResearchNet Application Details
- For the purpose of the UBC Internal Banting Competition, the names and contact information of your referees is not required. If selected as a UBC nominee, the appropriate referee assessments will be required by the September 21, 2022 20:00 EDT deadline. The Title of Research Proposal, Lay title, and Lay Abstract are required.
3. Significance of research contributions
4. Significance of leadership contributions
5. Fulfillment of Degree Requirements Form
- A copy of a doctoral graduation certificate/diploma will not be accepted in lieu of the Fulfillment of Degree Requirements form.
6. If applicable, Special circumstances
7. Research Proposal
9. Supervisor’s Statement
Please name the continuous PDF file “TRI-AGENCY - [Applicant Last Name], [Applicant First Name]" (eg. CIHR - Doe, John).
Please note that the application must be submitted by the applicant directly, rather than by the Supervisor/PI or the proposed unit or faculty.
Within your ResearchNet site:
- Under Banting Postdoctoral Fellows Program
- Apply for Funding section
- Go to Tasks
- Click on Preview (6th item on the list)
- Under Application Materials
- Click on Preview in Application Details (should generate a PDF file)
- Save the file.
No. Please submit your UBC Internal Banting Competition application in electronic (.PDF) form.
Adjudication and Results
All applications to the UBC Internal Banting Competition are reviewed for eligibility, and all eligible applications are forwarded to internal committees for review. The internal review committees select applications to be put forward for institutional endorsement.
All applicants will be notified of the UBC Internal Banting Competition results by email no later than Monday, August 29, 2022.
Applicants selected as UBC nominees will receive a copy of the Institutional Letter of Support required by Banting in .PDF format by email no later than Tuesday, September 6, 2022. UBC nominees must upload all required documents to ResearchNet to complete the Banting application process. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all components of the application including the Letter of Endorsement and appropriate referee assessments are submitted by the final deadline of Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 20:00 EDT (17:00 PDT).
All candidates are responsible for meeting any UBC internal deadlines set by their faculties and/or departments. Please consult with your unit for any internal deadlines.
Nominees selected for UBC endorsement will be sent a completed and signed Institutional Letter of Support in .PDF format by email no later than Tuesday, September 6, 2022.
While you may make minor adjustments to your application package prior to the final Banting submission, it is expected that UBC nominees will not make major adjustments prior to final submission as the institutional endorsement was adjudicated based on the initial documents provided.
Host institutions play a critical role in the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program, and are asked to endorse only their highest-calibre postdoctoral researchers. Supervisors who have identified applicants of this calibre must work with these candidates in preparing a Banting Application Package for submission with all relevant attachments as detailed on the Banting website.
As part of the Banting application, Supervisors/PIs are required to submit a Supervisor’s Statement. In order to assist in the development of this document, the PDFO has created a template Supervisor’s Statement that can be accessed through the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Faculty and Staff Portal. An active CWL account is required to access this template document; please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unable to access this portal.
Please be advised that Banting Postdoctoral Fellows are entitled to benefits; however, the $70,000 annual stipend does not cover this cost. It is the Supervisor/PI’s responsibility to ensure that they or their unit have the funding required to cover these expenses. For more information about benefits at UBC, please consult the Benefits website. For sample costs, please refer to the benefits calculator.
Fulfillment of Degree Requirements Form
The Fulfillment of Degree Requirements form is required for all applicants, as it is used to determine eligibility for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program. A copy of a doctoral graduation certificate/diploma will not be accepted in lieu of the Fulfillment of Degree Requirements form.
For candidates who have completed their PhD at UBC and require a Fulfillment of Degree Requirements Form, please email a completed form in .PDF format, along with your student number, to email@example.com. Once received, the form will be signed by the Dean of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies and returned to you by email.
For any questions pertaining to the internal review process that are not addressed in this FAQ, email the PDFO at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For any questions pertaining to the UBC Okanagan Notice of Intent (NOI), email the UBCO College of Graduate Studies at email@example.com.
For any questions pertaining to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program, including questions about eligibility, please contact Banting directly.
Award Winner Spotlights
2017-2018 Banting Postdoctoral Fellow Kenjiro Shirane, using using mouse genetics and state-of-the-art sequencing technology, is researching the molecular basis of several human overgrowth syndromes, which will potentially lead to new avenues for treatment of these diseases.
Cellular and Physiological Sciences
By understanding variations and molecular mechanisms associated with the development of Type 2 diabetes, 2016-2017 Banting Postdoctoral Fellow, Jelena Kolic, aims to make the implementation of personalized preventative and or therapeutic intervention strategies for T2D patients a reality.